Back to the index page  
  FAQ   Search   Memberlist   Usergroups   Register   Profile   Log in to check your private messages   Log in 
Distilled water
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Hair Care Forum Forum Index -> Conditioners and Treatments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pasheen

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 4:21 am    Post subject: Distilled water Reply with quote
Sorry this is twice. I meant to hit new topic...

Does anyone live in states with hard water? If so do you use distilled water or any other water purifier to wash your hair? I was thinking about trying distilled water to wash my hair. I have heard that it makes your hair soft and you can really experience a difference if you live in a state with hard water.

~Pasheen
Pasheen

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Found at http://www.healthgoods.com/Education/Healthy_Home_Information/Water_Quality/drinking_water_hard_water.htm

Indications of Hard Water
Hard water interferes with almost every cleaning task, from laundering and dishwashing to bathing and personal grooming. Clothes laundered in hard water may look dingy and feel harsh and scratchy. Dishes and glasses may be spotted when dry. Hard water may cause a film on glass shower doors, shower walls, bathtubs, sinks, faucets, etc. Hair washed in hard water may feel sticky and look dull. Water flow may be reduced by hard water deposits in pipes.

Dealing with hard water problems in the home can be a nuisance. The amount of hardness minerals in water affects the amount of soap and detergent necessary for cleaning. Soap used in hard water combines with the minerals to form a sticky soap curd. Some synthetic deter- gents are less effective in hard water because the active ingredient is partially inactivated by hardness, even though it stays dissolved.

Bathing with soap in hard water leaves a film of sticky soap curd on the skin. The film may prevent removal of soil and bacteria. Soap curd interferes with the return of skin to its normal, slightly acid condition, and may lead to irritation. Soap curd on hair may make it dull, lifeless and difficult to manage.

When doing laundry in hard water, soap curds lodge in fabric during washing to make fabric stiff and rough. Incomplete soil removal from laundry causes graying of white fabric and the loss of brightness in colors. A sour odor can develop in clothes. Continuous laundering in hard water can shorten the life of clothes.

In addition, soap curds can deposit on dishes, bathtubs and showers, and all water fixtures.

Hard water also contributes to inefficient and costly operation of water-using appliances. Heated hard water forms a scale of calcium and magnesium minerals that can contribute to the inefficient operation or failure of water-using appliances. Pipes can become clogged with scale that reduces water flow and ultimately requires pipe replacement.

~Pasheen
ShortyP98

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 5:06 pm    Post subject: hard water Reply with quote
Yeah. I know what you mean. I live in California and we have hard water here. I'm planning on moving next year and then I'm going to invest in a water softener system. But to try to use distilled water seems like it would add up quickly.
ajmilkyway

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 1:20 pm    Post subject: Hard Water Reply with quote
I've heard this term many times. But what exactly is hard water?? I know its definitely not a good thing but what makes water hard? and how can you tell??
BlessedByDesign

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 4:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
What does the distilled water do for your hair?
Pasheen

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
There was a map with the states that have hard water. I couldn't find it but I will keep looking. Hard water is suppose to do this to your hair:

Quote:
Bathing with soap in hard water leaves a film of sticky soap curd on the skin. The film may prevent removal of soil and bacteria. Soap curd interferes with the return of skin to its normal, slightly acid condition, and may lead to irritation. Soap curd on hair may make it dull, lifeless and difficult to manage.

Distilled water will make your hair soft because there isn't a film left on it.
Yes, it can get expensive so like ShortyP98 said I think investing in water softener system is the best bet.

~Pasheen
Computer*Love

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
How about using rain water. Maybe boil it and then let it cool and use that if you have hard water that may help.
Beauty is only skin deep. Positive Thinking Gives Positive Results. Tell your hair what you want it to be and, it will show you what it already heard. Keep smiling ya'll we all Look better when we do.
arrowwalker

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
BUMP

ACE

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
yes distilled water seems like it would add so so quickly....when i first moved to the apt that i live in now the water seemed alot harsher,now its alright...maintanence came to change the shower head and now the water texture is great....weird...i dont know how it would be on my hair though...i havent washed my hair here yet,i usually go get it done at the salon.
nack_blue

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
I also use distilled water to wash my hair.
ACE

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
did you use over a gallon?
Vega

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
We have hard water in our area and have a soft water system. If you don't have a soft water system, I would think distilled water would get expensive. I would try to find a shampoo that works better in hard water. I don't know if there is such a thing but they should.
MissCoco210

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
think fresh water is good for the hair it can't hurt

ACE

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
ive never tried distilled
MissCoco210

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
i guess cleaner the better

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Hair Care Forum Forum Index -> Conditioners and Treatments All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: