Back to the index page  
  FAQ   Search   Memberlist   Usergroups   Register   Profile   Log in to check your private messages   Log in 
detangling

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Hair Care Forum Forum Index -> Childrens Hair Care
View previous topic :: View next topic  
phillydeej

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 3:58 am    Post subject: detangling Reply with quote
Hi all,

De tangling children's hair seems like a task but what I find easiest is:1use a detangling shampoo and conditioner 2comb hair while conditioner is in the hair,3 plait hair in four sections after combing out the hair 4.rinse hair.5 use a leave in conditioner on each plait individually. it takes a minute but it is worth it.
hericane

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
My daughters hair is 90-95% natural, with about 1/2-1 inch of relaxed ends. I have the hardest time detangling her 'spongy' hair. I took down cornrows last night, detangle each section, put in plaits as I went, and by the time I washed it-those plaits were a tangled, wet mass. Crying or Very sad I really need a better way to wash and detangle her 4a/b 'spongy' hair. She does not want to relax-dad is trying to move her softly in that direction though! Confused
Pasheen

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 3:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
To comb my daughter's natural hair I use the same method as phillydeej
except I use a pre-conditioner. It seems to make the process easier for everyone. I use the pre-conditioner before I attempt to do any detangling. I also use the method for my own natural hair. I know it is time consuming but I think it is worth it in the long run. Don't tell Hubby but I agree with your daughter Wink . I don't hate on anyone elses' hair relaxed or natural because that is a personal choice but I do prefer the natural.

I know it can feel like a chore so I make it fun. I do hot herbal tea, and snacks. We also do foot spas and polish our toes. We watch a movie or listening to music. I know it seems like it is easier to get a relaxer but with a little time and patience natural hair can be just as manageable. Just my thoughts.

~Pasheen
hericane

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Pasheen wrote:
To comb my daughter's natural hair I use the same method as phillydeej
except I use a pre-conditioner. It seems to make the process easier for everyone. I use the pre-conditioner before I attempt to do any detangling. I also use the method for my own natural hair. I know it is time consuming but I think it is worth it in the long run. Don't tell Hubby but I agree with your daughter Wink . I don't hate on anyone elses' hair relaxed or natural because that is a personal choice but I do prefer the natural.

I know it can feel like a chore so I make it fun. I do hot herbal tea, and snacks. We also do foot spas and polish our toes. We watch a movie or listening to music. I know it seems like it is easier to get a relaxer but with a little time and patience natural hair can be just as manageable. Just my thoughts.

WOW! what a great treat for you and your daiughter. That sounds like a great way to lessen the grudginly long time it take to just make 4 ponytails. Confused Thanks for your reply. I'll definitely try that. But I think dear daughter (DD) is leaning towards pleasing dad and getting a relaxer. I guess at 9 its hard to deal with shrinkage when you see all your classmates with semi-long and long straight hair.
KITOLEDA

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I THINK THE EASIET WAY TO DETANGLE SPONGY HAIR IS TO PART IT IN FOUR PARTS. THEN WHEN YOU COMB IT START FROM THE BOTTOM AND WORK YOUR WAY UP. AND PROBABLY USE A BLOWDRYER RIGHT AFTER YOU COMB IT. DONT PERM THIS TYPE OF HAIR IT WILL JUST DAMAGE IT AND MAKE IT LOOK REALLY THIN. THE BEST THING TO DO IS BLOW DRY IT THEN USE A CERAMIC FLATIRON TO STRAIGTEN IT. THIS WILL LAST FOR AT LEAST ONE WEEK AT A TIME IF IT DOESNT GET WET. YOU CAN GET A CERAMIC FLATIRON FROM JCPENNEY FOR ABOUT EIGHTY DOLLARS. A LITTLE PRICEY BUT BELIEVE ME IT IS WORTH IT.
hericane

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
KITOLEDA wrote:
I THINK THE EASIET WAY TO DETANGLE SPONGY HAIR IS TO PART IT IN FOUR PARTS. THEN WHEN YOU COMB IT START FROM THE BOTTOM AND WORK YOUR WAY UP. AND PROBABLY USE A BLOWDRYER RIGHT AFTER YOU COMB IT. DONT PERM THIS TYPE OF HAIR IT WILL JUST DAMAGE IT AND MAKE IT LOOK REALLY THIN. THE BEST THING TO DO IS BLOW DRY IT THEN USE A CERAMIC FLATIRON TO STRAIGTEN IT. THIS WILL LAST FOR AT LEAST ONE WEEK AT A TIME IF IT DOESNT GET WET. YOU CAN GET A CERAMIC FLATIRON FROM JCPENNEY FOR ABOUT EIGHTY DOLLARS. A LITTLE PRICEY BUT BELIEVE ME IT IS WORTH IT.

My DD is 9. I would really love to just press or flat iron her hair, but she loves her baths and often gets water in, on, or around her hair. Sad How often do you think would be safe to use heat on her hair?
Pasheen

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 4:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
My oldest is 11 and I wonder next year when she gets in the 7th grade what hair issues were are going to have. It was funny today when I put the coconut milk on our hair they said they smelled like a fruit salad. I guess my point is it isn't always going to be fun and girls will want someone else to do their hair because Mommy isn't fly anymore.
Nae did aske about a press next week. So I think I going to invest in a Maxglide (sp???) Wish me luck....

Oh! our hair movie today was Alvin and the Chipmunks meet Frankstein.... It was cute

~Pasheen
Pasheen

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 4:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
I think heat is okay as long as you protect those ends but if her hair is past or at shoulder length. I would let her wear her hair down maybe a day or two but the rest of the time where it in protected styles. So hair hair isn't brush against clothing and ruining her ends. I say this because that is what I am going to tell my Nae. Now the water get her a swim cap that way she can still have her girl time in the tub without (you and her) fretting about her hair.

~Pasheen
BlessedByDesign

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
My niece has very dry hair, and my brother puts a good amount of coconut oil in her hair after shampooing and then lightly rinses it out. It makes her hair smooth with nice curls.
forever1994

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 6:17 pm    Post subject: relaxing.. Reply with quote
Crying or Very sad Please dont relax her hair. I see so many little black girls with relaxed hair and it always looks really dead and unappealing. As opposed to a child's hair who's parents take the time to do it cute and pretty. nATURAL IS THE WAY TO GO!

Natural
jazzycoach

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 3:50 am    Post subject: hair issues Reply with quote
Hair for students once they get in middle school changes. In fact my 5th grader gave me fits about wearing her hair down. My 5 year old does not want to wear bows anymore. Well she really doesn't have a say, but I am negotiating with my 6th grader. Bows will not make it in middle school. I am thinking maybe twists and one ponytail. You can't give them more than one or they feel like they are little girls. Go figure.
KINGTEHA

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 3:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
sounds like a lot to do. I thought that me tassling with my DD to get her hair done was painful!
_shellee^

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Very Happy Natural is better for children's hair Laughing ...
Not knowing which products to use is the chore...That's my opinion.
alklene1

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 10:46 pm    Post subject: Jelly Beary is all natural Reply with quote
Very Happy I would recommend a product called Jelly beary. It is all natural for kids. You can get it at Etsy under the name carmelsprinkles. Believe me you will see a difference in your childs hair. Be blessed.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Hair Care Forum Forum Index -> Childrens Hair Care All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: