Back to the index page  
  FAQ   Search   Memberlist   Usergroups   Register   Profile   Log in to check your private messages   Log in 
I want to go all natural!!!!!!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mrs.B

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 8:21 pm    Post subject: I want to go all natural!!!!!! Reply with quote
I have been getting perms ever since i was little but now i want to stop. What is a good way of doing so and stopping the breakage as an affect of not using a relaxer? Confused
tnmccarty23

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 3:17 pm    Post subject: Re: I want to go all natural!!!!!! Reply with quote
Mrs.B wrote:
I have been getting perms ever since i was little but now i want to stop. What is a good way of doing so and stopping the breakage as an affect of not using a relaxer? Confused

I went all natural about 6 years ago...I just stop getting relaxers (but i only got about 1 a year anywayz) and got my hair flat ironed..I did not cut it off, but I did go to the stylist once a week every week for about a year and a half...it takes time and patience, but as long as u keep it conditioned, and don't put anymore heat on it after u get it flat ironed, you should be okay... Very Happy
arrowwalker

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 5:13 pm    Post subject: Hello Reply with quote
Mrs.B A friends of mines went natural a few years ago and this is what she told me. She began by relaxing only new growth until she learned how to deal with the longer strands. This took her about four months. Then she stopped the relaxing when she had a better hold on what she was doing. She said there is a period when she stopped that her hair got rebellious, but it became easier with time. She even noticed different behavior with her hair too. I hope this helps you out and good luck.
keisha

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
if you don't want to do the big chop you must keep that new growth soft. deep condition more often. try braids but keep the braids moisturized daily with a spray
angeeE5

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I have been a natural for four years now, and I cannot tell you how much I absolutely, positively love it! It seems as if my hair is more tamed now that I have allowed it to be its natural self.

A little w.o.a. if moisturizing your hair is an issue, skip the blow drying 100%, unless you invest in an ionic and tourmaline-based hot tool. In addition, invest in water-based hair products. These products tend to attract more moisture to the hair then oil-based products. Think about it. When you dip your hair in the pool, it swells up like a great sponge because it is full of moisture.

As a natural, try to style your hair in protective styles, such as braids, twists, individuals, and afros. Remember, these styles do not make your hair grow; however, they do reduce the amount of breakage that you may see in a comb. Oh, another tip, no combs! I know, sounds a bit drastic? But this is true. If you are going to use a comb, make sure that you use it only before you shampoo and condition, and after you have dried your hair. This way, your hair would not experience as much breakage.
arrowwalker

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Mrs. B Have you made your decision to go Natural?

angeeE5

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Join Arrow and I on the natural hair path. The great thing about being natural is that you never have to stop researching. There is always something for you to discover.
arrowwalker

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Plus the fact that you will be done with chemicals and the hardships afterward Very Happy

angeeE5

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
YESSSSSSS! That is it right there. No more of the smell of butt and eggs touching your scalp every 6-8 weeks. Laughing
nel12

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
I have been going with the no combing technique for about 3 weeks. I really like it. I gently finger comb in the shower with lots of conditioner. I'm glad to hear that someone else thinks this is a good idea. It does sound a bit drastic, but i think that it really cuts down on breakage!
arrowwalker

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yes Nel not to mention the tugging and pulling.

angeeE5

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I just washed and conditioned my hair Thursday night. I only used the comb during the detangling process (before shampooing). Then, I used it to section my hair during conditioning. The rest of the time, I used the Human Comb (lisa akbari).
arrowwalker

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
same here

naturalblaze

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I had the same dilemma, my hair was driving me crazy. I started getting kinky twist every 3 months, only letting it rest for a week then back to the braid shop for 8 hours of sitting. One year and a half later, I'm finally all natural and loving it. The kinky twist do inch severely so the doo gro stimulating oil work best for me.
ACE

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 4:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
angeeE5 wrote:
YESSSSSSS! That is it right there. No more of the smell of butt and eggs touching your scalp every 6-8 weeks. Laughing

lol butt huh?...ewwww the egg smeel was soooo annoting and rotten!i hated that smell...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Hair Care Forum Forum Index -> Hair Breakage All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: