Back to the index page  
  FAQ   Search   Memberlist   Usergroups   Register   Profile   Log in to check your private messages   Log in 
Please Help!
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
MochaKiss

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 4:58 am    Post subject: Please Help! Reply with quote
Okay this isnt for me.Its for my mom.She wanted me to post on the forums asking a question about her hair.
She said that her hair is relaxed and colored and she had been shedding consistantley and she wanted to know how to stop the breakage.Her hair is coming out badly...

So can anyone help so i can tell her what to do about her hair?

Thanks,Bria

:3

- Relaxed
- Iam APL!
- Smile
Went from NL to APl in 8 months. <3
Jolie7

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
for 1 her hair could be extremely over processed from the color and the relaxer. Cuz i thinks that what happened to me, but my hair broke off in the back from a STRONG perm but she should try to keep her hair moisturized as MUCH as possible. Try hot oil treatments and good conditioners then she should try some protein treatmens too. ANGEE will be in here later i know it. SO SPIT THAT KNOWLEDGE LOL. but yes thats what i think she should try, and if she's using alot of heat, lay off that too too much heat BAD BAD BAD!!
jpmiyuka

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Jolie is right.

Also, is she SHEDDING as in seeing the hair bulb or just regular breakage?

She could put diced garlic in her conditioner

OR

put an egg in her conditioner with some extra virgin olive oil, if you have some

And what Jolie was saying about a STRONG perm, NEVER EVER use a strong relaxer. Use the regular and that's it. You are trying to manage your waves not straighten them. If your mom is doing that then please tell her that is the wrong answer. The VERY wrong answer.

Transitioning!!!!!

Last edited by jpmiyuka on Sat Jun 27, 2009 1:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
arrowwalker

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hello Mochakiss tell your mom to start taking Garlic pills called Garlique. If she doesn't want to do that then cut up a clove and add it to shampoo or conditioner. Thay also sell the shampoo with Garlic. There are tincture and oils too. This will stop the shedding immediately. Keep me posted on her results?

*faith*

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 4:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Mocha, when my hair was long i colored it every couple of months. i would say once every six months. but it did not break. my bff did so and her hair began to shed soooooo bad. She because washing more often with a biotin shampoo, deep conditioned every week...and oiled her scalp daily. she also did not wear her hair down she immediately put braids in her hair. She kept her hair moisturized ALOT! It did not shed anymore after a couple of weeks but after this she went natural. Her hair was very course and she had too many chemicals in er hair. I agree with everyone, especially Arrow with the garlic. Hope all get better!
*faith*

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 4:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
excuse my mistake....i meant to say "she began " in the beginning. Embarassed
Jolie7

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 4:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
yes those strong perms will kill yea, i did that cuz i wanted to try someting different and it said normal but shooooooooooooooot my hair SNAPPED! now i use Creme of nature Mild lye, it's a really good perm but i perm my hair every 6 months that touch up mess every couple weeks is not for me. depending on how long your mom perms and colors her hair could be a problem 2
jpmiyuka

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 5:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
I say.....

Do not relax your hair every 4 - 6 weeks! That is the wrong answer!

Professionals tell you to relax every 4 - 6 weeks and trim around that time or every 6 - 8 weeks. Don't do it. They are loons and just want your money. you should atleast wait 3 months to relax. If not then 8 weeks..

Transitioning!!!!!
Jolie7

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 5:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
I heard that Jpm and if she can go 6-7 months maybe, she should and make sure that hair is CONDITIONED!!!
MochaKiss

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Uhh..okay ill ter ,or bing her to the computer instead.

Smile

Omg,My momma is slow sometimes she's all talking about putting relaxers on me and my sisters head evry 2 weeks.I looked at her crazy im only strecthing my relaxer to 8 weeks only or 10 weeks.hehe

>.<

- Relaxed
- Iam APL!
- Smile
Went from NL to APl in 8 months. <3
Jolie7

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
lol see ya mom is doin too much
kwicherbichen

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I am in the process of reading every book about black hair care in my school library, city library, and my neighboring city library. So when you tell your momma these things we are telling you, tell her we are saying this from personal experience and research!

Now, tomorrow, I am calling a relaxer company to ask them some specific questions about relaxers and I will tell you what they say, but what they say probably will not be a surprise.

A) Please do not ever ever relax every 2 weeks. Your mom is complaining of shedding and breakage. You need to tell her that the fact that she chemically alters her hair is CAUSING the breakage. Relaxers CHEMICALLY BREAK bonds in your hair's natural structure. The moment the chemical touches your hair, your hair looses its innate strength and ability to retain moisture forever. If you relax too much, here is what happens...
a1) Since the new growth is so small, you will probably get relaxer on hair that has already been relaxed. This causes over processing. Over processing makes the hair almost as if it is no longer hair. If you stretch it, it will break. It gets wet too easily. Etc, etc. The point is, if you put relaxer on hair that has already been relaxed and you keep doing this, the hair WILL BREAK NO ANDS IFS OR BUTS!!!!!
b1) Since the new growth is so small, you are probably going to put relaxer on the scalp. Relaxer gets on the scalp anyway, but even more so when you're trying to get that tiny new growth. The chemicals can cause damage to your scalp, scabbing over your hair follicles, blocking hair growth!

B) I would probably recommend she just cut her hair. If she doesn't want to do that, then she needs to trim her hair and start following the advice of the girls above.

I also have to tell you, there is a DIFFERENCE between SHEDDING and BREAKAGE!

Shedding - the hair is falling out from the scalp.

Breakage - the hair is breaking in half into your hands/brush/comb.

Follow the advice of the girls above.

I recommend 2 books (of the ones I've read so far),

The first book is "Healthy Hair Care Tips For Today's Black Woman" because it seems very relatable to women such as your mother.

The second book is much better. Its called "Black Woman's Guide to Beautiful Hair". It is a very educational and practical guide to getting healthier hair.
kwicherbichen

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I also want to say that yes, condition, condition condition.

But it is hard to find a conditioner that really works well for YOU. So tell your mom to start experimenting and if you don't have so much money to experiment, I highly recommend that she buy UNREFINED SHEA BTUTER. Anything that she finds is not working, she can mix it in with the shea butter and it will work better until that finishes.

Also, since she is experiencing breakage, I highly recommend a PROTEIN TREATMENT every 3 weeks. APHOGEE 2 STEP is highly effective and powerful. That's what I use, but I have to use it before any chemical processes because the Aphogee will irritate any broken skin.

That's something else I want to mention. Where ever you feel a relaxer burning is where your scalp is damaged. If a relaxer burns, then the Aphogee will also burn if it touches that places on your scalp. So be careful.
Jolie7

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
i'm gonna get the 2 step treatment in the box cuz they have a whoooooooole box instead of me buying the bottle
jpmiyuka

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Has you mom did anything about her hair yet?

Transitioning!!!!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Hair Care Forum Forum Index -> Hair Breakage All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: