Back to the index page  
  FAQ   Search   Memberlist   Usergroups   Register   Profile   Log in to check your private messages   Log in 
Damaging Shampoos - Harsh Sulfates
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hairfinity
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 9:42 pm    Post subject: Damaging Shampoos - Harsh Sulfates Reply with quote
Many common shampoos contain harsh sulfates that can strip your hair, causing it to become dry and eventually leading to breakage. Harsh sulfates include:
Ammonium Laureth Sulfate
Ammonium Lauryl Sulfate
TEA Laureth Sulfate
TEA Lauryl Sulfate
Sodium Lauryl Sulfate
These types of harsh shampoos should be used for clarifying only. A clarifying shampoo should be used once monthly. This will allow for more effective penetration of your hair treatments. The following sulfates are gentle and will not damage your hair:
Polyoxethylene Fatty Alcohols
PEG 80
Sorbitan Laurate
Decyl Polyglucose
Cocamidoprpyl Betaine
Sodium Myreth Sulfate
Sodium Laureth Sulfate
hericane

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Cream of Nature shampoo has a very mild detergent -Decyl Polyglucose and tricedeth(sp). Its really moisturizing. Especially the one for dry and damaged hair. Packed with good stuff like honey, & wheat germ.
ShortyP98

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 12:01 pm    Post subject: No shampoos I use Reply with quote
I was shocked to find out that not one of the shampoos I have used is gentle on hair. Something is wrong with that picture.
hericane

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 4:17 pm    Post subject: Re: No shampoos I use Reply with quote
ShortyP98 wrote:
I was shocked to find out that not one of the shampoos I have used is gentle on hair. Something is wrong with that picture.

Lady, you need to try Cream of Nature-Green label. You just cant' go wrong with that one.
hericane

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 9:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Damaging Shampoos - Harsh Sulfates Reply with quote
hairfinity wrote:
Many common shampoos contain harsh sulfates that can strip your hair, causing it to become dry and eventually leading to breakage. Harsh sulfates include:
Ammonium Laureth Sulfate
Ammonium Lauryl Sulfate
TEA Laureth Sulfate
TEA Lauryl Sulfate
Sodium Lauryl Sulfate
These types of harsh shampoos should be used for clarifying only. A clarifying shampoo should be used once monthly. This will allow for more effective penetration of your hair treatments. The following sulfates are gentle and will not damage your hair:
PEG 80
Sorbitan Laurate
Decyl Polyglucose
Cocamidoprpyl Betaine
Sodium Myreth Sulfate
Sodium Laureth Sulfate

Do you think that daily washing with the gentle shampoos is conducive to hair growth or should shampooing in general be limited to 1-2x per week?
ShortyP98

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 1:10 am    Post subject: Re: No shampoos I use Reply with quote
hericane wrote:
ShortyP98 wrote:

Lady, you need to try Cream of Nature-Green label. You just cant' go wrong with that one.

Man, the list of products I want to try is getting so long. I don't think I'll have room in my bathroom cabinets. Time to do some cleaning.
lilbleezee18

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 3:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Damaging Shampoos - Harsh Sulfates Reply with quote
hairfinity wrote:
Ammonium Laureth Sulfate
Ammonium Lauryl Sulfate
TEA Laureth Sulfate
TEA Lauryl Sulfate
Sodium Lauryl Sulfate
PEG 80
Sorbitan Laurate
Decyl Polyglucose
Cocamidoprpyl Betaine
Sodium Myreth Sulfate
Sodium Laureth Sulfate

i was so surprised to see how many shampoos that claim they do not have the harsh chemicals as others had almost every name on the list.
ShortyP98

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 4:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Damaging Shampoos - Harsh Sulfates Reply with quote
lilbleezee18 wrote:
hairfinity wrote:
Ammonium Laureth Sulfate
Ammonium Lauryl Sulfate
TEA Laureth Sulfate
TEA Lauryl Sulfate
Sodium Lauryl Sulfate
PEG 80
Sorbitan Laurate
Decyl Polyglucose
Cocamidoprpyl Betaine
Sodium Myreth Sulfate
Sodium Laureth Sulfate

i was so surprised to see how many shampoos that claim they do not have the harsh chemicals as others had almost every name on the list.

Me too.
Pasheen

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
What is really sad is that the shampoo companies. The shampoo companies do not want consumers to know about the harmful effects of sulfates. I think the internet has really hurt them with that. That is why they now want to include olive oil, or coconut oil, etc in their ingredients. That is a good thing but they still use the sulfates hoping people who want natural products will not read the list of ingredients. When I first researched sulfates one company called the harmful effects of sulfates a myth. If I can find it I will post it later.

~Pasheen
forever1994

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I had great results with this brand./line
heres the link..

http://www.garnier.ca/fructisStrengthRepair/en/contest_reg_from.asp

Natural
arrowwalker

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 1:22 pm    Post subject: yep Reply with quote
Mega tek shampoo is the most natural I have found.
angeeE5

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 4:24 pm    Post subject: Shampoos with sulfates Reply with quote
I have been sulfate-free for the past month, and I cannot begin to tell you how much healthier my hair and scalp feels. I do not itch or irritate my scalp, my hair is never dry. It is behaving so well. Sometimes, I have to pet my scalp and say "That is a good wittle scalpy" (OKAY, I am goofy) Laughing

Since then, I have been using Dr. Bronner's Magic Classic Liquid Castille Soaps, as well as HairOne Cleansing Cream for my moisturizing weeks. Hey, sometimes I get lazy and I would love to use shampoos and conditioner that I do not contain a lot of oil.
jpmiyuka

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hmm...what shampoo do you use?^

Transitioning!!!!!
arrowwalker

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I know that Premier (Mega tek) is quite good but I know there are others out there. Come on Ladies name your brew.

arrowwalker

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
BUMP

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Hair Care Forum Forum Index -> Shampoos All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: