Back to the index page  
  FAQ   Search   Memberlist   Usergroups   Register   Profile   Log in to check your private messages   Log in 
Protein Treatments for Breakage
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hairfinity
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 9:44 pm    Post subject: Protein Treatments for Breakage Reply with quote
Your hair is about 88% protein. These proteins are of a hard fibrous type known as keratin. When hair is chemically straightened, these bonds are broken, causing the hair to lose strength. If this protein is not replaced, it will eventually cause the hair to break. Mizani Kerafuse is a good protein treatment for black hair. It should be used every week (for chemically relaxed or damaged hair) under a heated dryer with a plastic cap for 10-15 minutes. For healthy hair, a protein treatment should be used every other week, alternating with a moisture treatment.
hericane

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I also like Vitale Super Intensive reconstructor for protein treatments. It's full of lots of 'softening' proteins- wheat, collagen, & silk. Plus it is a great scalp stimulant, with camphor, menthol, and peppermint.
mzroz

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Organic Root Stimulator(ORS)Hair Mayo is a great treatment for breakage. My hair was a wreak after recent surgery. The hospital dried my hair out, and once I returned home, I didn't have the energy to take proper care of my hair as I was recovering. Once I got my strength back, I realized how harshly the cold weather and dry indoor heat treated my hair. It was snapping off mid strand. I use ORS as a prepoo treatment. I saturate my dry hair with the product cover my hair with a plastic cap or plain ol' shopping bag and sitting under the dryer for 20 minutes. Another great treatment is to wrap a warm damp towel around your hair after applying the treatment. It's an instant steam deep conditioner. It does wonders for the breakage!! : :)
ShortyP98

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 11:30 am    Post subject: Breakage Reply with quote
I've had a lot of breakage in my hair. I now sleep on a satin pillow case and use a satin drawstring cap at night to protect my hair. I noticed a big difference when I started using it and now. Sometimes when I go away from home I forget it and it total messes up my hair. I'm going to try the protein and mosture treament weekly and see how much that helps as well. Does any one have any more suggestions on cutting down breakage?
hericane

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 3:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Breakage Reply with quote
ShortyP98 wrote:
I've had a lot of breakage in my hair. I now sleep on a satin pillow case and use a satin drawstring cap at night to protect my hair. I noticed a big difference when I started using it and now. Sometimes when I go away from home I forget it and it total messes up my hair. I'm going to try the protein and mosture treament weekly and see how much that helps as well. Does any one have any more suggestions on cutting down breakage?

Protecting you hair while sleeping is a definite must to help minimize breakage; but more importantly is consistent deep conditioning. If you hair is damaged you need to deep condition atleast 1-2x per week with both a protein and a mmoisturizing conditioner. Some believe that deep conditioning without heat is ok; but I whole-heartedly say that heat makes all the difference in the world. Shoot for 15-20 under a medium heat dryer. You'll see a big difference in the strength, shine, and moisture level of your hair. Very Happy
hericane

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
mzroz wrote:
Organic Root Stimulator(ORS)Hair Mayo is a great treatment for breakage. My hair was a wreak after recent surgery. The hospital dried my hair out, and once I returned home, I didn't have the energy to take proper care of my hair as I was recovering. Once I got my strength back, I realized how harshly the cold weather and dry indoor heat treated my hair. It was snapping off mid strand. I use ORS as a prepoo treatment. I saturate my dry hair with the product cover my hair with a plastic cap or plain ol' shopping bag and sitting under the dryer for 20 minutes. Another great treatment is to wrap a warm damp towel around your hair after applying the treatment. It's an instant steam deep conditioner. It does wonders for the breakage!! : Smile

I totally agree (ITA) this is an awesome conditioner. I used it when I first started growing my hair out several years ago. It gives unbelievable strength and natural shine to hair. It's a grreat balance for all types of hair!
hericane

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 8:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Protein Treatments for Breakage Reply with quote
hairfinity wrote:
Your hair is about 88% protein. These proteins are of a hard fibrous type known as keratin. When hair is chemically straightened, these bonds are broken, causing the hair to lose strength. If this protein is not replaced, it will eventually cause the hair to break. Mizani Kerafuse is a good protein treatment for black hair. It should be used every week (for chemically relaxed or damaged hair) under a heated dryer with a plastic cap for 10-15 minutes. For healthy hair, a protein treatment should be used every other week, alternating with a moisture treatment.

Deep conditioning with protein is very important. Should moisture treatments be done for about the same amount of time as well or longer? I tend to lean toward 30-45 minutes being optimal penetration time for DCing with heat.
ShortyP98

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 11:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Breakage Reply with quote
hericane wrote:
ShortyP98 wrote:

Protecting you hair while sleeping is a definite must to help minimize breakage; but more importantly is consistent deep conditioning. If you hair is damaged you need to deep condition atleast 1-2x per week with both a protein and a mmoisturizing conditioner. Some believe that deep conditioning without heat is ok; but I whole-heartedly say that heat makes all the difference in the world. Shoot for 15-20 under a medium heat dryer. You'll see a big difference in the strength, shine, and moisture level of your hair. Very Happy

Wow, that's a lot of conditoning. How often do you wash your hair? Conditioning 1-2x per week is pretty much out of the question for me. I usually wash my hair once every week or two week because I wear my hair pressed out. Going to the beauty shop that often I can't afford, I wish I could though.
hericane

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 12:27 am    Post subject: Re: Breakage Reply with quote
ShortyP98 wrote:
hericane wrote:
ShortyP98 wrote:

Wow, that's a lot of conditoning. How often do you wash your hair? Conditioning 1-2x per week is pretty much out of the question for me. I usually wash my hair once every week or two week because I wear my hair pressed out. Going to the beauty shop that often I can't afford, I wish I could though.

My hair is washed 1x per week with shampoo and 2-3x with just conditioner.
ShortyP98

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 1:01 am    Post subject: Re: Breakage Reply with quote
hericane wrote:
ShortyP98 wrote:
hericane wrote:
ShortyP98 wrote:

Hmm. I see. How do you usually wear your hair? Is it relaxed or natural?
nrogersbell

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 6:24 am    Post subject: Hair Breakage Reply with quote
The extra conditioning makes alot of since. However, I shampoo, condition, blow dry and flat iron my hair once a week. I would like to start the extra conditioning. I would have to blow dry and flat iron my hair everytime I condition. I think that would be too much on my hair. Any other suggestions?
hericane

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 1:42 am    Post subject: Re: Breakage Reply with quote
ShortyP98 wrote:
hericane wrote:
ShortyP98 wrote:
hericane wrote:
ShortyP98 wrote:

Hmm. I see. How do you usually wear your hair? Is it relaxed or natural?
I'm relaxed. I airdry 100% of the time and do a french roll or just clip up.
hericane

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 1:45 am    Post subject: Re: Hair Breakage Reply with quote
nrogersbell wrote:
The extra conditioning makes alot of since. However, I shampoo, condition, blow dry and flat iron my hair once a week. I would like to start the extra conditioning. I would have to blow dry and flat iron my hair everytime I condition. I think that would be too much on my hair. Any other suggestions?

Are you a fan of buns or up-do's? You could add an extra conditioning session during the week by incorporation a sleek chignon or airdry and then curl with Caruso steam rollers; doing bantu knots on damp hair is also another option. They look really cute down and also make cute up-do's. By NO MEANS would I advocate blow drying and flat ironing 2x a week.
Pasheen

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
I have never done a protein treatment. Only because I heard it can be hard on natural hair. Although my hair is thick I don't think it is that strong. I care for myself or have been since September so my question is how do you know you need a protein treatment?

~Pasheen
hericane

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Pasheen wrote:
I have never done a protein treatment. Only because I heard it can be hard on natural hair. Although my hair is thick I don't think it is that strong. I care for myself or have been since September so my question is how do you know you need a protein treatment?

If you use direct heat for styling or hair color or have an inadequate diet; you STILL NEED protein treatments. Naturals tend to need fewer applications, because natural hair is stronger than hair that has been chemically processed in any way. I would suggest you do a medium protein treatment- Queen Helene Super Cholesterol or Cholesterol w/ Ginseng, ORS Hair Mayo, Aphogee 2 minute Keratin. Motions CPR, Vitale Super Intensive Reconstructor, or Jherri Redding Natural Protein (stinky BUT effective).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Hair Care Forum Forum Index -> Hair Breakage All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: